Valencia High School (VHS) sophomore Aarav Patel and freshman Aaron Chew recently visited Lakeview Elementary School in Yorba Linda to introduce 4th and 5th grade students to the fundamental ideas of speech and debate. In an effort to bring speech and debate education to local elementary schools, Aaron founded the non-profit organization SandD4Kids.
That day, the Lakeview students were given opportunities to win prizes after debating on topics surrounding everyday life, such as:
- Would you rather have a great long-term memory or short-term memory?
- Would you rather live without heating and AC or the Internet?
- Would you rather live without a keyboard and mouse or touch screens?
- Would you rather be rich or famous?
- Would you rather have the power to be invisible or fly?
The students were engaged in the debates, and SandD4Kids hopes to maintain this level of excitement as the organization grows and the lessons continue.
In the near future, the VHS students will also visit Linda Vista Elementary School to share their speech and debate knowledge!