On Saturday, February 27, 2021, the Valencia High School Science Olympiad team competed against 43 teams from across Orange County in the rigorous and ultra-competitive OC Regional Tournament. In this unprecedented year, the Regional Tournament was held online, with all 27 Science Olympiad events adapted to a virtual environment for students to demonstrate their skills and compete for placement in the State Tournament.
Before the Regional Tournament, VHS participated in an invitational tournament against many of the same teams and did not have a great showing. It was clear our students and coaches needed to put in some great efforts to do well enough at Regionals to qualify for State.
As the results for the Regional Tournament were announced on March 7, it was obvious that the Valencia High School Science Olympiad team had done their homework, claiming 1st place in three events and 2nd place in four events. Along with these podium positions, Valencia High School medaled in 18 of the 28 events, while also earning 4th place overall at the tournament, qualifying for the State competition.
Thanks to the hard work and dedication of the 42 students and 11 coaches that make up the VHS Science Olympiad team, the Tigers will go on to compete in the State Tournament on April 3, also held virtually this year,” Principal Chris Herzfeld shared.
Top VHS individual medalists:
- First place medals in Fossils – Audrey Leung & Kamron Popal
- First place medals in Fermi Questions – Rohan Bhalodia & Celina Liu
- First place medals in Chiropterology – Jessica Nguyen & Jessica Chao
- Second place medals in Experimental Design – Donovan Nguyen, Nina Kini & Melody Sun, Second place medals in Codebusters – Cadie Sparks, Audrey Leung & Nina Kini
- Second place medals in Forensics – Donovan Nguyen & Joshua Song
- Second place medals in Detector Building – Brendan Wong & Donovan Nguyen