Four PYLUSD schools – Kraemer Middle School, El Dorado High School, Valencia High School and Yorba Linda High School – participated in the Orange County Regional Science Olympiad on Saturday, Feb. 11, at the University of California, Irvine.
Congratulations to the Kraemer Science Olympiad team, which took second place in the Orange County Regional competition in Division B. Kraemer was only 15 points away from capturing the crown. Their runner-up finish qualifies them for the state finals at Caltech next month, where they will battle it out with rival Jeffrey Trail Middle School for a trip to the national championship! The Kraemer Science Olympiad team is coached by Mr. Shaun Evola, who teaches seventh grade science.
This was El Dorado’s first time participated in this event, and they took home 17th place! The Golden Hawks competed in Division C, and the team leader was advanced placement (AP) physics and chemistry teacher Mrs. Jessica Dutton.
Valencia placed eighth at Regionals this year. The students who received medals are:
- Ben Nguyen and Michael Huang – third place in Chemistry Lab
- Jiwon Jeong and Verna Chang – fourth place in Dynamic Planet
- Meghan Wang, Michael Huang and Ben Nguyen – sixth place in Experimental Design
- Michael Huang and Ben Nguyen – sixth place in Materials Science
- Erika and Erin Kim – third place in Write It Do It
Great work Tigers!
Yorba Linda sophomore Blake Han earned a fifth place medal in the Helicopters event. The team finished 22nd out of 31 teams.
To view all of the results, click here.