Scores are in following the 2023 Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE) Program exams and Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District (PYLUSD) students shined! Successful AP, IB, and Cambridge AICE graduates are often granted college credits and an edge when it comes to admission at the finest universities in the nation.
Before a summary of key highlights, a little background about each of these programs: all four comprehensive high schools—El Dorado, Esperanza, Valencia, and Yorba Linda—offer a long list of AP courses provided by the College Board. The AP Program provides students access to rigorous, college-level courses in the disciplines of arts, English, history and social science, math and computer science, the sciences, and world languages and culture.
Valencia High School is the proud home to the district’s IB and Cambridge AICE diploma programs. The IB Diploma Program offers a two-year comprehensive and rigorous pre-university curriculum leading to an IB Diploma. The Cambridge AICE Diploma Program provides an opportunity for students to tailor their studies to their individual interests, abilities, and future plans within an international curriculum framework.
With the help of their teachers, students prepare all school year for AP, IB, and Cambridge AICE exams, which take place in spring. Below are some key highlights from 2023 for each program:
Advanced Placement (AP) Exam Highlights 2023
- The number of AP exams taken by PYLUSD students increased by 6.67% AND the pass rate increased by 2% when comparing 2022 to 2023. A total of 4,494 AP exams were administered.
- Students increased the number of chemistry, computer science principles, and literature AP exams taken while maintaining the previous year’s pass rate.
- Students also increased the number of environmental science, statistics, and United States History exams taken while increasing the pass rate compared to the previous year.
- El Dorado administered 1,156 exams in 25 subjects for an 84% pass rate, up from 1,008 exams in 22 subjects for a 77% pass rate last year.
- Esperanza administered 565 exams in 22 subjects for an 83% pass rate, up from 548 exams in 20 subjects for a 78% pass rate last year.
- Valencia administered 1,557 exams in 29 subjects for an 86% pass rate, up from 1,473 exams in 24 subjects for an 87% pass rate last year.
- Yorba Linda administered 1,215 exams in 26 subjects for an 88% pass rate, up from 1,083 exams in 27 subjects for an 88% pass rate last year.
Valencia IB and Cambridge AICE Exam Highlights 2023
- The Class of 2023 at Valencia High School included 63 IB Diploma winners, marking the most in Orange County this year and for the past seven-plus years.
- Notably, scores on 13 IB exams were higher than the world average including economics, computer science, psychology, biology, and history, ranging from 18% to 75%.
- Valencia increased the number of IB economics exams and increased its overall IB Japanese exam scores by 65%.
- Valencia increased the number of 10th to 12th-grade students taking a Cambridge exam by 70%.
- The school also increased the total number of exams given by 122% and increased the overall pass rate by 9%.
- Students earned a 100% pass rate in economics and Spanish and increased the number of English language exams given by 45% while increasing the pass rate by 7%.
“The success of our students in each of these programs is a testament to their hard work and determination in pursuing rigorous coursework and a reflection of our dedicated teachers who encourage and educate them along the way,” Superintendent Dr. Alex Cherniss shared.
While academic excellence is a priority in PYLUSD, it’s equally important to celebrate the fact that students thrive in a well-rounded educational environment, where they not only excel academically but also are empowered to become responsible, ethical, and contributing citizens. Way to go, PYLUSD students!